Inline plasma pretreatment
Neue Materialien Fürth GmbH
The atmospheric pretreatment of surfaces with plasma has enormous potential for fine cleaning and improving adhesion in polymer/polymer and polymer/metal multi-component systems.
POTENTIAL APPLICATIONS OF INLINE PLASMA PRETREATMENT
When it comes to multi-component systems, adhesion properties constitute an important quality criterion. Materials must be integrally bonded over a large area, with the requirement for optimal adhesion between the materials fulfilled. If there is only medium adhesion potential, or even no potential at all, between two components, mechanical joins must be created by undercutting, which is quite demanding in terms of the tools and production work required. Strategic inline plasma pretreatment of the first component specifically where the boundary of the join will be proves to be a more efficient solution. This pretreatment causes adhesive interactions with the second component when it is moulded on, achieving adhesion that is technically significant.
(INLINE) PLASMA PRETREATMENT ENABLES:
- Expanded compatibility matrix
- Adhesion of standard materials (previously, polymers that have been modified to facilitate adhesion have had to be used)
- Use of low processing temperatures and pressures in order to preserve the material properties
- Integration into the manufacturing process (inline process),
- Local treatment with plasma for complex component geometries